Ferndale Veterinary has seen many changes since its establishment in 1947 by Dr. Mel Roberts and Dr. Harlan Detlefsen. It started out primarily as a large animal clinic that focused mainly on dairy and beef cattle.
When Dr. Charles E. Ozanian purchased the hospital in 1983, he expanded the laboratory and library areas and introduced computers to the office. Ferndale Veterinary received a much larger expansion in 1991, with the addition of two exam rooms, radiology and dark room, surgery suite, a small dog and cat ward, kennel room, and spacious treatment room. At that time, the staff consisted of only one doctor, a receptionist, a technician and a bookkeeper.
Over time, business grew, and the staff expanded. In 1996, Ferndale Veterinary welcomed Dr. James “Kevin” Silver, who became partners with Dr. Ozanian in 2000. Soon Ferndale Veterinary hired a third doctor to keep up with the demand for veterinary care in Humboldt County.
In September 2010, Dr. Ozanian and Dr. Silver purchased Fortuna Veterinary Hospital from Dr. Gary Hunter. In 2012, they purchased Broadway Animal Hospital in Eureka from Nick Comas then sold it in 2017 to Dr. Marlena Folden.
Dr. Ozanian and Dr. Silver eventually decided it was time to pass on their legacy. In September 2016, they sold the Ferndale and Fortuna hospitals to Dr. Kristopher Flores. This was an exciting year for Dr. Flores and his family. Two weeks before the purchase of the business, he and wife, Jennifer, became the proud parents of little Benjamin Flores!
Ferndale and Fortuna Veterinary hospitals now employ more 30 staff members, including six veterinarians, and provides care for large, small, and exotic animals.